Paralyzed in a Mine Collapse, Man Enjoys Remarkable Recovery Years Later

May 01, 2016 | I am a retired coal miner. I became paralyzed during a coal mine disaster in the 1980s. I lived a miserable life and felt disheartened until I started practicing Falun Gong in 1997. After I began practicing, my paralysis marvelously disappeared. I stood up again and have since been living a healthy life.

I recall that our group of over 60 coal miners went down a tunnel to dig coal, working in groups of two. There were metal pillars supporting the top of the tunnel. We moved the metal pillars forward for safety after digging coal out. I tried to move a pillar but it was stuck, even when I struck it with a hammer. My coworker did not believe it. He grabbed my hammer and hit the pillar. At that moment, the tunnel collapsed. A large slab of rock, over 30 meters long, over 20 meters wide, and 14 meters tall, fell on us. The right half of my body was pinned by the rock. I passed out.

I heard someone yelling when I regained consciousness. Other miners were rescuing us. They dug out the coal under my body and pulled me out carefully. The big rock was too heavy to be lifted, even with four hydraulic cranes. My coworker was crushed under the rock and died in the accident. The incident caused one death and eight injuries.

I was rushed to a hospital and diagnosed with compression fractures in my first, second, and third lumbar vertebrae. Surgery was conducted for over eight hours to fix my spine with a steel plate. I was bed-ridden for over six months and could only walk with crutches after that.

Photo of practitioner Qing Yan's back, showing the six-inch scar.
Photo of practitioner Qing Yan’s back, showing the six-inch scar.

My wife was weak and my child was young. I was the sole provider for the family before becoming disabled. Their helpless looks made me feel disheartened, and I thought of death many times. My life was extremely miserable. I visited several large hospitals in Beijing and Tianjin. All the expert doctors had almost the same answer about my illness: no better treatment was available. I was in despair. I took medication daily and had infusions monthly. I lived in agony for years.

I participated in a local group practice of Falun Gong in Spring 1997. I practiced the exercises while sitting in a wheelchair. Gradually I felt a warm flow in my legs, and the pain in my back lessened, so I became more determined in practicing Falun Gong.

Day in and day out, my health improved. Falun Gong gave me hope for a new life. I even started to control my hot temper and become a better person by following the Falun Gong principles. I was eventually able to stand up without needing crutches, and able to live a normal life in 2000. I appreciate Master Li and Falun Gong for saving me.

After the Chinese Communist Party initiated the persecution of Falun Gong, I went to Tiananmen Square to raise awareness about the persecution. I returned to my parents’ home in a remote village when the persecution was at its peak. The Party secretary of my work unit led a dozen police officers to the village looking for me. They wanted to take me to a brainwashing center.

I told them my story and the remarkable improvements in my health after practicing Falun Gong. They listened in silence. The Party secretary said before leaving, “You can practice it at home if it is good for you.”

I now ride a bike and walk along the streets to talk to people about Falun Gong and raise awareness about the persecution. I live a healthy and happy life.

Chinese version available