(Minghui.org) Since the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) began to suppress Falun Gong in July 1999, a large number of practitioners have been detained for their belief. Some practitioners died of torture while in custody, while others passed away after they were released.

In this report, we would like to expose some of the primary methods used to torture Falun Gong practitioners at Jiayu County Detention Centre in Hubei Province at one point or another over the past 23 years. Due to censorship and internet blockade, the real situation could be much worse.


Primary Torture Methods

Typical torture methods at Jiayu County Detention Centre included:

1. violent beatings,
2. force-feeding,
3. shackled and handcuffed for lengthy durations,
4. shackling multiple practitioners together,
5. sleep deprivation,
6. forced use of drugs,
7. forced to kneel for long periods of time,
8. forced to stand against a wall for long periods of time,
9. forced relocation away from family,
10. waterboarding,
11. monetary extortion,
12. forced labor,
13. freezing torture,
14. propaganda and brainwashing.

1. Violent beating

In Jiayu County Detention Centre, violent beating was the most common method of torture. Some guards and cell heads directly beat Falun Gong practitioners or instigated other inmates to do so.

One particular type of beating was dubbed “eating steamed buns” by the guards. The victim was made to stand against the wall with a mug placed between his back and the wall. All the inmates were then required to punch or kick the victim in the chest. The victim often ended up with blood gushing out of his or her mouth.

Another particular type of beating was dubbed “stir-fried bamboo and pork.” This torture was mostly used on female practitioners. The guards would force the women to line up and kneel down in a hallway. The guards or inmates then whipped their entire bodies with thin bamboo sticks, especially the exposed skin. The pain was excruciating. Some victims rolled around screaming in pain.

A third type of beating was dubbed “eating dumplings,” with the victim wrapped up in a blanket, then punched and kicked in the chest and other parts of the body.

Mr. Zhang Yuwang, a resident of Yuyue Town in Jiayu County, died of this torture, at the age of 63. His wife described how they were both tortured in Jiayu Detention Centre in October 2002. His wife was forced to stand still against the wall the entire night, with both hands at her side.

Mr. Zhang was subjected to the torture “eating dumplings.” “The pain was unbearable, and my husband was pale,” wrote his wife, “My husband was not released until two months later. After returning home, due to the severe injuries caused by the torture, he suffered constant chest pain and had difficulty even doing household chores. His health deteriorated over time and he later died in 2010.”

Several other practitioners also died after being severely beaten at the Jiayu County Detention Centre.


Torture illustration: Beating.


Ms. Liu Dehu, 63, was a resident of Jizhouwan Town of Jiayu County. While she was in the Jiayu County Detention Centre, she was severely beaten several times and suffered serious internal injuries. She later died in 2013.

This is her testimony:

“On January 13, 2001, I was illegally interrogated by the Political Security Section at the Jiayu County Detention Centre. Zhou Wende, a police officer, kicked, grabbed, beat, and scolded me every time he interrogated me. He pushed me down and forced me to kneel down straight while raising both hands high and straight. After I knelt like that for more than an hour, he ordered me to stand up with my feet together and arms straight and not move. This continued from morning to night. Eight people then took turns interrogating me at night.”

Liu Changlin, chief of the political security section, walked into the office at dawn asking about the interrogation. Upon hearing the officer on duty reporting that Ms. Liu refused to renounce her belief, Liu Changlin shouted, “I will kill you if you continue like this!” He then slapped Ms. Liu in the face and punched her in the right eye. After closing the door behind him, he again hit Ms. Liu in the temple and gave her a punch in her left ear. “Since then there was always humming noise in my left ear and I could not hear anything through it anymore,” Ms. Liu wrote.

Liu Changlin then knocked her to the ground with another punch, kicked her again, grabbed her hair, and asked, “Where did the (Falun Gong) materials come from?” Ms. Liu did not answer. Already in her 60s, she was forced to stand straight without moving or sleep for 28 hours. “When I was returned to the cell later, inmates said my face looked frightening with reddish and bluish bruises,” she recalled.

Another example was Mr. Shen Guoyan, in his 60s. Because of distributing Falun Gong materials, he was arrested in late September 2001. At Jiayu County Detention Centre, he was severely tortured by the guards and inmates. With his body swollen, he was extremely weak and he was on the verge of death. In October 2002, he was released home and died miserably one year later.

Mr. Xu Xiaochun, 42, was a farmer in Xinjie Town, Jiayu County. After deceiving him into going to the Xinjie Police Station one day in late 1999, an officer punched hard on both sides of his ribs, causing him to immediately pass out. Similar things happened again on April 25, 2001. Guards and inmates beat him hard and extorted 3,000 yuan from him. After Mr. Xu returned home on June 1, 2001, the injury was unable to recover. Even so, Li Bingshan, Li Yongxiang, and Li Bolin, and other officials of the Shajiashan continued harassing him at home. In the end, Mr. Xu passed away on the morning of December 13, 2006, due to internal injuries.

Ms. Zhang Yuyan was a resident of Paizhouwan Town. After going to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in May 2000, she was arrested and kept her at Jiayu County Detention Centre. She was brutally tortured and vomited blood as a result. She wasn’t sent to the hospital until she was dying. After she was stabilised, she was sent home but faced continued harassment from Paizhouwan 610 Office. They even took away some of her furniture. Ms. Zhang died in March 2002. She was 23.

Mr. Zhang Hu, in his 30s, was a resident from Panjiawan Town. After being arrested in 2011, he was held in Jiayu County Detention Centre for 7 days and brutally tortured. This led to severe injury of his internal organs. Later on, he also developed liver disease and diabetes. He died miserably on February 29, 2016.

2. Brutal force-feeding

Tube feeding is meant to save lives. But force-feeding has been used as a brutal torture method aimed to make Falun Gong practitioners renounce their belief. The mixture used to force-feed at Jiayu County Detention Centre was usually coarse salt with just a little water, corn paste, stimulant drugs, high-alcohol liquor, detergents, excrement, and urine.

In order to prevent practitioners from resisting the brutal force-feeding, almost all of them were tied up, hands cuffed behind their backs, chained with heavy shackles, head restrained, and held down during the force-feeding process. To inflict more pain, guards and inmates also deliberately pulled out and inserted the tube repeatedly – which often ruptured the esophagus and stomach – in an attempt to force Falun Gong practitioners to give up their practice.

Ms. Liu Dehu, mentioned above, was sent to the Jiayu County Detention Centre on January 13, 2001. The prison guards often searched the cells, and one time confiscated a copy of Zhuan Falun from her after finding it. She wrote in her personal account, “I went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. A few days later, guards started to force-feed me. Guards and inmates, about six or seven in total, pushed me to the floor and pressed my legs and all over my body with their knees. Some pried open my mouth and some force-fed me. Some of my teeth were pried off and my lower tooth plate was damaged. It is still deformed today.”