Crimes of Wang Jinyi, Director of the Bureau of Rule of Law Supervision of Justice Ministry, in Persecuting Falun Gong


( Falun Gong practitioners in 36 countries recently presented their respective governments with an up-to-date list of perpetrators involved in the persecution of the spiritual practice in China. The lists were submitted around December 10, 2021, on International Human Rights Day. Practitioners asked their governments to bar the perpetrators and their family members from entering those countries and freeze their assets.

The 36 countries include the Five Eyes Alliance (the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand), 23 countries in the European Union (France, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Poland, Belgium, Sweden, Austria, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Czech Republic, Romania, Portugal, Greece, Hungary, Slovakia, Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Estonia, and Malta), and 8 additional countries (Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Israel, and Mexico).

Falun Gong, also called Falun Dafa, has been persecuted by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) since July 1999. The hostility and ill-treatment meted out include torturing practitioners resulting in death, continuous harassment, and government-sanctioned selling of their vital organs, which also results in death.

Practitioners outside China have previously submitted lists of perpetrators to various governments requesting that sanctions be imposed on the named human rights violators. The latest submission marks the first time that Estonia has participated in this effort.

Wang Jinyi, Director of the Bureau of Rule of Law Supervision of Justice Ministry, is on the list.


Perpetrator Information

Full Legal Name of Perpetrator: Wang (last name) Jinyi (first name) (王进义)
Gender: Male
Country: China
Date of Birth: April 1964
Place of Birth: Datong, Shanxi Province

Title or Position

Wang Jinyi is the Standing Director of the Legal Education Research Association of the Chinese Law Society and Vice President of the Chinese Society of Reeducation Through Labor. He is currently the Director of the Bureau of Rule of Law Supervision of the Ministry of Justice.

June 1997: Assistant Director to the Bureau of Reeducation through Labor of the Ministry of Justice, and Director and Deputy Directory of the Office and Politics Division
February 2004 – February 2006: Deputy Director of the Legal Propaganda Department of the Ministry of Justice
May 2007: Dean and Deputy Secretary of the Party Committee of the Central Judicial Police Academy
March 2009: Director of the Bureau of Reeducation through Labor, Ministry of Justice
November 2010: Director of the Jilin Province Office of the Rule of Law and the Secretary of the Party Committee of the Provincial Department of Justice
March 2013: Secretary of the Party Committee and Director of the Department of Justice of Jilin Province
July 2016: Director of the Prison Administration Bureau of the Ministry of Justice
2018 to Present: Director of the Bureau of Rule of Law Supervision of the Ministry of Justice


Main Crimes

1. Persecution During Wang’s Tenure as the Assistant Director to the Bureau of Reeducation Through Labor of the Ministry of Justice

Since the persecution of Falun Gong began in July 1999, Wang Jinyi, then Deputy Director of the Bureau of Labor Reeducation of the Ministry of Justice, actively followed the CCP in persecuting Falun Gong.

From July 15 to July 29, 2001, a large-scale propaganda exhibition was held at the Beijing Military Museum. It was jointly organised by six ministries and commissions, including the Central Propaganda Department, Department the Office of Prevention and Handling of Cult Issues, the Ministry of Public Safety and Security, and the Ministry of Justice. Wang Jinyi served as the Deputy Head of the Exhibition Management Team.

The exhibition used manipulated images and videos to slander Falun Gong and showcased the brainwashing and “transformation” of Falun Gong practitioners as examples of the joint ministries’ “successful achievements.” The exhibition later toured across China and more than 350,000 people in more than 20 provinces and cities including Beijing, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Hubei, and Shandong visited it.

On July 19, 2001, in the “Oppose Cults and Advocate Civilisation” program of the “One Hour at Noon” show on CCTV, Wang Jinyi, one of the main producers of the exhibition, was invited to the show. He and the host, Zhu Xu, repeated the slanderous propaganda as part of the CCP’s campaign to demonise Falun Gong and its founder.

In 2004, the Ministry of Justice issued a paper titled, “Opinions on Further Strengthening the Press and Publicity Work of the Judicial Administration System,” which included focusing on publicising the practices and results of education through labor and sharing the results of the transformation of Falun Gong practitioners who underwent re-education through labor.

The report talks about violations of discipline that occurred in prisons and labor camps. It mentions that prison authorities must get approval from the Provincial Department of Justice before any violations of the law can be reported to the public. Any report with national influence must be submitted to the Ministry of Justice for approval before publication.

It specifically mentions that when an emergency occurs, the report should not be released publicly. The document specifically included references to emergencies involving human rights issues and Falun Gong detainees that occurred within the judicial administrative system.

To date, the Department of Justice regul includes anti-Falun Gong propaganda as the main part of its publicity campaign.


2. Persecution During Wang’s Tenure as Director of the Ministry of Justice’s Reeducation-through-Labor Administration from March 2009 to October 2010

Since the former CCP leader Jiang Zemin began the persecution, a large number of practitioners have been imprisoned and held in forced labor camps across China. In order to force practitioners to give up their belief and to achieve a 100% conversion rate, labor camps guards torture those who refuse to renounce their faith.

The common methods of torture include hurling insults, beating, sitting on a tiny stool from 6 a.m. to midnight every day for 5-6 months or even longer, sleep deprivation, limited restroom use, applying electric shocks to sensitive body parts for 6 or 7 hours, force-feeding with spoiled food or human waste, tiger bench, hanging up, burning with a hot iron, etc.

In addition to the physical torture, the practitioners were forced to undergo constant verbal abuse, brainwashing, and intimidation. Countless Falun Gong practitioners were tortured to disability or even death.

During Wang’s tenure as the second Director of the Ministry of Justice’s Reeducation through Labor Program, he continued to implement the CCP’s persecution policy of “bankrupt them financially, ruin their reputations, and destroy them physically,” “killing them will be recorded as suicide,” and “cremate their bodies without investigating the cause of death.”

He is the highest commander of the persecution of Falun Gong in the re-education-through-labor system throughout China and an important accomplice in the CCP’s persecution of Falun Gong.

According to statistics from, between September 2009 and November 2010, in the less than 2 years Wang served as Director of the Labor Reeducation Administration Bureau, at least 22 practitioners were tortured to death in labor camps. Many others were tortured to disability or mental illness.


Select Persecution Cases During This Period

1. Mr. Lu Yunlai Tortured to Death at the Baimiao Forced Labor Camp

Mr. Lu Yunlai was given one year at the Baimiao Forced Labor Camp in Zhengzhou City, Henan Province in November 2008. He was tortured, beaten, and forced to work for more than 10 hours a day without pay. The guards ordered inmates to beat him with wooden sticks. They hit him so hard that all their wooden sticks were broken.

Due to prolonged sitting while working, the skin on his buttocks festered. In July 2009, Mr. Lu suffered severe hepatic ascites, tuberculosis, pleural effusion, and intestinal obstruction. He was taken to the hospital for an examination and was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. He passed away on October 30, 2009.


2. Mr. Jiang Bingzhi Tortured to Death in the Suihua Labor Camp 

Mr. Jiang Bingzhi was taken to the Suihua Labor Camp in Shuihua City, Heilongjiang Province in October 2008. The injuries inflicted while he was tortured caused him to lose control of his hands and feet in June 2009. His reaction also became slow and he had frequent anxiety attacks. He showed symptoms of cerebellar atrophy during an examination in July.

The labor camp authorities not only refused to treat him, they also claimed that Mr. Jiang was pretending to be ill and instructed inmates to beat him up. His body was covered with bruises from the beating. After that, he was beaten multiple times until he was no longer able to walk. Yet the guards still shocked him with electric batons, causing him to have urinary incontinence. He lapsed into a coma on August 21, 2009. He was taken home and died on August 26, 2009. He was 59.


3. Ms. Zheng Yuling Tortured to Death

Ms. Zheng Yuling was taken to the Hubei Province Women’s Labor Camp on August 25, 2009 and later transferred to the Hubei Provincial Law Education Centre (brainwashing centre). As she refused to renounce Falun Gong, several guards and inmates took turns torturing her. She was not allowed to sleep or use the restroom and was forced to stand for long periods of time. She passed away on September 28, 2009, three days after being taken to the labor camp. She was 57.


4. Ms. Zhang Chengmei Beaten to Death in Wangcun Labor Camp

Ms. Zhang Chengmei was arrested on December 8, 2009. She was taken to the Wangcun Labor Camp around New Year’s Day in 2010. She was severely beaten every day for a long time. She was not given food or water and was not allowed to use the restroom or wash herself. She was forced to stand for long periods of time. The guards wiped the inside of her mouth with urine and stuffed her mouth with a rag soaked in urine. She died in the labor camp hospital on February 6, 2010. When her family saw her body, they observed that her teeth were knocked out and her arm was broken. Police refused to let her family take photos and forced them to cremate her body.


5. Ms. Liu Shuling Tortured to Death with an Electric Baton in the Harbin Drug Rehabilitation Labor Camp

Ms. Liu Shuling was born in 1956. She was tortured to death on July 3, 2010 at the Harbin Drug Rehabilitation Labor Camp in Heilongjiang Province. According to eyewitnesses, Ms. Liu was tied to a metal chair and shocked to death with an electric baton. There was a circle of electric burns on the back of her left ear and the bottom of her neck. Insiders revealed that Ms. Liu was tortured because she refused to write statements to renounce Falun Gong.


3. Persecution During Wang’s Tenure as Director of the Jilin Provincial Department of Justice from November 2010 to June 2016

During Wang Jinyi’s tenure as Director of the Jilin Provincial Department of Justice, he instigated local prisons to persecute Falun Gong practitioners, including allowing the Jilin Prison to use numerous torture methods on the practitioners. These methods included keeping the practitioners in a tiny room, shocking them with electric batons, hanging them up by their wrists, tying them to a bed in a spread-eagle position, and force feeding them with salt water.

Former prison directors Li Qiang, Liu Wei, and guards Wang Yuanchun, Li Yongsheng once told a practitioner, “If you were given 6 days to live, in Jilin Prison, you would be dead within 5 days.”

The warden of Jilin Women’s Prison, Wu Zeyun, instructed the district chief and inmates to use torture methods such as being hung up by the wrists, “flying an airplane” (a torture technique where the person is bent over with their head against the wall and their hands are pulled up and held straight up against the wall), and being tied up in a spread-eagle position. Many practitioners were tortured to death, disability, or mentally illness.

According to available information from, during Wang’s tenure as Secretary and Director of the Department of Justice, at least 11 practitioners were tortured to death in Jilin Province Women’s Prison, which was established by the Jilin Province and the Ministry of Justice as a model.


Torture reenactment: Flying an airplane


Select Death Cases During This Period

1. Mr. Wang Xuezhu Tortured to Death in Siping Shiling Prison

Mr. Wang Xuezhu was arrested and sentenced to Siping Shiling Prison. He wrote an appeal letter to the Prison Administration. When the guard Li Haifeng found it, he ordered inmates Han Jingjun and Yang Xichen to electrocute Mr. Wang. Afterwards, Mr. Wang’s health began to deteriorate, and he developed tuberculosis. The hospital did not give him proper treatment and he was forced to do intensive labor every day until he had to be hospitalised again. He died on May 22, 2011. He was only 41.


2. Ms. Sun Xiuxia Tortured to Death in Jilin Women’s Prison

Ms. Sun Xiuxia, 50, was deprived of sleep and forced to stand facing a wall for long hours at the Jilin Province Women’s Prison. She was also locked up in solitary confinement and tortured for not renouncing Falun Gong. She was carried to the Sino-Japanese Friendship Hospital on a stretcher for “emergency treatment” on April 30, 2012 and died later that day. The guards prevented her family from photographing her body and confiscated the photos they had already taken.


3. Ms. Chang Guiyun Persecuted to Death in Jilin Provincial Women’s Prison

Ms. Chang Guiyun was beaten, forced to stand for long periods of time, hung up, not allowed to go to the restroom and not allowed to drink water, while serving an eight-year term at the Jilin Province Women’s Prison. The torture caused her to develop incontinence. Her hair turned grey. She lost the ability to speak. Some of her teeth fell out. Her mouth became crooked and her eyes became slanted. Her family members asked for a medical parole in 2009, but the prison delayed until the beginning of 2012 when she was finally released. Her health continued to deteriorate upon returning home and she passed away on March 8, 2013, at the age of 62.


4. Ms. Chen Shuqin Beaten to Death in Jilin Provincial Women’s Prison

Ms. Chen Shuqin was arrested at home in 2010 and later taken to the Jilin Province Women’s Prison. As she refused to renounce Falun Gong, the guards kept her in a solitary confinement cell where she was severely tortured. The prison guards instructed criminals to beat her and submerged her head repeatedly in a bucket filled with water. She almost died during this process.

Ms. Chen went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution but was subjected to even more cruel torture. She was tied to a bed and stretched until she almost died. She was also beaten, tied up and hung up. She was beaten to death in February 2011.


4. Persecution During Wang’s Tenure as Director of the Prison Administration Bureau of the Ministry of Justice from July 2016 to 2018

When the persecution first started in 1999, the former CCP head Jiang Zemin called for the “eradication of Falun Gong in three months.” In order to achieve the so-called “conversion rate,” prisons used various methods including torture, brainwashing, drug administration, and forced labor to torture the practitioners. Some prison guards threatened the practitioners and said, “You will be cremated if you don’t transform!”

During his tenure as Director of the Prison Administration of the Ministry of Justice, Wang continued to implement the persecution policy in the national prison system. The long list of torture methods includes severe beatings, being made to stand for long periods of time, denied restroom use, sleep deprivation, sitting on small stools, being hung up by the wrists, “flying an airplane,” electric shocks, force feeding, tied to a death bed (a torture technique where the person is tied to a board and force-fed), confinement to a small metal cage, confinement, sticking needles under fingernails, pulling hair, pulling teeth or fingernails with pliers, beatings with belts or sticks, stabbing the body with metal rods or pliers, tying bricks on the neck, being exposed to mosquitoes, having cold water poured over them and rubbing a toothbrush between their fingers.

According to available data from, at least 68 practitioners were tortured to death in prison in 2017. As the director and leader Wang is directly responsible for the persecution and the resulting deaths.


Torture reenactment: Rubbing a toothbrush between fingers.


Select Death Cases During This Period

1. Ms. Hu Xia Tortured to Death

Ms. Hu Xia, 55, was arrested on July 18, 2015. Her home was ransacked. She was sentenced to an unknown term by the Chongzhou City Court on March 11, 2016. At the Sichuan Province Women’s Prison, she was forced to stand for long periods of time. The guards beat her and knocked out one of her teeth. Her legs and buttocks were bruised. Because she did not cooperate with the transformation, she was given very little food (less than 50g) per day. She became emaciated.

Other inmates were instructed to drown her in a bucket. In early February 2017, she was beaten while being held in the punishment room. She wasn’t allowed to sleep, and was forced to stand for long periods of time. She became unconscious from the torture. Her eyes were dull. She was in a daze. She became incontinent and her pants and the floor where she slept were covered with her urine and bowel movements. She died on December 19, 2017.


2. Mr. Chen Guangzhong Persecuted to Death in Jiazhou Prison 

Mr. Chen Guangzhong, of Chengdu City, Sichuan Province, was arrested at home on February 9, 2017. He was sentenced to three years in prison. On July 28, 2017, he was persecuted to death, only six months after being taken to the Jiazhou Prison in Leshan City, Sichuan Province.


3. Mr. Lu Yuanfeng Passed Away Three Weeks After Being Released from Prison

Mr. Lu Yuanfeng was sentenced to three years in prison. In early November 2016, the guards at Benxi Prison took Mr. Lu to the workshop warehouse and instructed inmates to hold him down. They verbally abused him while kicking him and shocking him with three electric batons. The continuous electric shocks lasted more than forty minutes. Mr. Lu rolled around due to the pain. His head, neck, hands, ankles, and other areas were severely burned.

By the time he was released on November 18, 2017, he had changed from a physically strong person to a very weak and sick person. His eyes were dull, his speech was slurred, and he suffered a cerebral thrombosis. His femoral head was broken and ectopic, and he was paralysed. He died on December 9, 2017, just 21 days after returning home.


4. Ms. Wang Cui Persecuted to Death in Xinxiang Women’s Prison

Ms. Wang Cui was a teacher. She was sentenced to seven years in prison in 2012. She was persecuted to death at the Xinxiang Women’s Prison on December 21, 2016. Her body was quickly cremated before her family was allowed to take her home. She was only 53.


5. Ms. Chen Ruiqin Persecuted to Death in Tianjin Women’s Prison 

Ms. Chen Ruiqin, 44, was persecuted to death in Tianjin Women’s Prison on February 10, 2017. Prison guards surrounded her dead body and her relatives were not allowed to see it close up. However, they could see that her tongue was withered.

Ms. Chen suffered long-term torture for not giving up her faith. She was forced to stand for long periods of time as punishment and not allowed to go to the restroom. Her toes were trampled until they dripped blood and she was beaten so badly that her body covered with scars, wounds, and bruises. The inmates poured hot water over her face. Her nipples were pinched. She was sexually assaulted. She was made to eat a mixture of urine and excrement. The inmates would pick up objects including the urine bucket, stool, and other things and beat her with them.


6. Mr. Bai Jie Persecuted to Death in Suzhou City Prison

Mr. Bai Jie, of Anhui Province, was sentenced to ten years at the Suzhou City Prison on April 11, 2016. The prison guards instigated inmates to beat him. Mr. Bai was already seriously ill, and the persecution caused his health to deteriorate further.

The prison administrators did not care whether he lived or died. Because he tried to clarify the facts about Falun Gong, they put him in a tiny room where he was tortured and his condition worsened.

On April 1, 2017, his family members received a call from prison staff stating that he suffered a cerebral hemorrhage on the night of March 31. He passed away at Suzhou Hospital on the morning of April 14. The shackles on his feet were not taken off until after he died. His body was forcibly cremated, and his family was only allowed to bring back his ashes. He was only 55.